Friday, June 6, 2014

右まぶたがさがって顎関節症/ Right-eylid closure and TMJ

きっかけなど
がんけん痙攣の症状がみられたのは、2013年10月中旬、およそ10年にわたるさまざまな薬に加えて、自分の体質に合わなかった薬を飲んだ事がきっかけだろうと感じています。
実際に、専門医が私を診てすぐに薬剤の疑いを指摘し、ピンと来た薬の服用をやめた所、症状が悪化することはありませんでした。

関係あるかは分かりませんが、この症状からさかのぼること6年半前に交通事故に遭い、その後脳の写真で傷跡が見られました。その後、はっきりと分からない不調を感じたため、西洋医学と中国人医師による東洋医学の治療を2年ほど受け、2009年より精神科で診てもらっています。現在、がんけん痙攣の症状をきっかけに、漢方のエキス剤以外の薬は服用していません。

まぶたの違和感
変だなと感じた薬の服用から、約3ヵ月後、右目のこめかみの上の部分が凝ってるような感覚がありました。その2,3日後には、右の瞼が自然に下がってしまったり、力が入ると必ず右目が閉じたりしていました。周囲には辛そうだねと言われたこともありましたが、自分の症状が全くはっきりしない上、情報が乏しく、あまり深刻に考えていませんでした。
1週間経つと、あごの痛みが強くあったので、かかりつけの歯科医師に診てもらいました。そこで作ってもらったスプリントという顎のギブスを使用し、教えてもらった自分でできる顎の運動を実践したところ、あごの痛みは大きく緩和されました。


まぶたの異変
しかし、それから2ヶ月ほどで、明らかな異変を感じるようになりました。
右目の瞼が自然に閉じてしまうことが多く、距離感がつかめず、日常生活に支障が出てきました。歩行中に物などにぶつかったり、カバンに入っているものを取り出すときに散らかしてしまったりと、思うような行動ができず、ストレスを感じました。しかし、一番もどかしく、負担だった事は、原因が分からなかったために何も出来ないまま時間が経過し、時間が経つことで症状が悪化していったことだと思います。



In the very beginning
I first noticed my first symptom of right eyelid strangeness in mid Oct in 2013. I believe the particular medication was the trigger. My serious symptom gradually disappeared after I stopped taking this medication, lithium. Also, some of different medicine in the past 10 years might be affected.

Besides my medication, I had brain damage by street accident in the past, which is 6 and half a year before the symptom. Not sure if this is related to my eyelid problem, but my brain picture shows the tiny scar,  and my condition was not very well.  I went to see the neurologist, and tried both chinese and western medications for 2 years.
Since 2009, I've been seeing a psychiatrist, and I now take chinese medication by him.
変だなと感じた薬の服用から、約3ヵ月後、右目のこめかみの上の部分が凝ってるような感覚がありました。その2,3日後には、右の瞼が自然に下がってしまったり、力が入ると必ず右目が閉じたりしていました。周囲には辛そうだねと言われたこともありましたが、自分の症状が全くはっきりしない上、情報が乏しく、あまり深刻に考えていませんでした。
1週間経つと、あごの痛みが強くあったので、かかりつけの歯科医師に診てもらいました。そこで作ってもらったスプリントという顎のギブスを使用し、教えてもらった自分でできる顎の運動を実践したところ、あごの痛みは大きく緩和されました。
Jaw pain and TMJ exercises
I first noticed the stiffness of my right temple, after 3months I took lithium. 2, 3 days after this stiffness, my right eyelid closed spontaneously and my right eye was closed responding to strong physical movement. Despite what people around me has said, I was not that concerned.   I had never had such an experience but it wasn't easy to find the right information.
1 week after I felt the stiffness, my jaw started to hurt. I went to my dentist, and got a dental splint as well as the information of TMJ exercises that I can do by myself. Those helped me so much from my jaw pain.

The exercise shown in the image:
1) Movement of lateral slide
As shown on the picture of a woman #1 on the left side, put your hands on joints. Avoid your mouth wide-open and try to slide your jaw horizontally for about 5 times. The joint which is expected to be hurt tend to move less than the other side, but try the movement to be equal as much as you can.
2) Maximum opening using jaw muscle
Keeping your hands on joints, try to open your mouth wide slowly for about 5 times. When moving, it is not a problem if you have small pain/some noise, so keep doing.
3) Forced aperture using fingers
Keep one hand on the joint that hurts, and put the index finger of the other hand on lower front teeth ,and the thumb on upper front. Using those fingers, open your mouth. It is more effective if you pull the lower jaw towards the side which is not hurting. Doing it till you feel some pain/hear your jaw rasping would be effective.
4) see if you have improvements
Depending on your dentist/doctor, you may have some certain indications...such as the number of fingers you can put in your mouth or etc.

Doing this exercise for about 10 min/day is recommended.

Eyelid Problem
The symptom of my right eyelid progressed obviously. I often bumped with objects when I was walking, my belongings scattered everywhere from my bag. Everything was very stressful. It got worse as the time passed, and that was the most frustrating time. I had no idea what was going on with me.